As a gardener, one of my absolute favorite times of the year is early spring! After being cooped up in the house for the entire winter dreaming of getting back out in the yard, I nearly jump for joy when I spy my early spring produce pop through the cold soil. Come late March my onions make an appearance, with my rhubarb not far behind in early April. This year, with the deliciously warm weather we experienced for most of the winter, my rhubarb was ripe and ready for harvesting by the end of April, destined to become rhubarb bread pudding! Check out the recipe below.
Rhubarb is one of my favorite spring items, but many haven’t heard of it or had the opportunity to try it! It’s a beautiful perennial with red stalks and large green leaves. Be warned, the leaves are poisonous and should not be consumed! The stalks of the rhubarb are quite tart and are best eaten as sauce (just like apple sauce and made in exactly the same way), crisp or crumble, or as an amazing topping for oatmeal when cooked with strawberries. One cup of rhubarb serves up a boost of vitamin K and calcium—the bone, tooth, and blood superheroes!
Rhubarb isn’t the only amazing item to look forward to this spring. Check your local markets for these spring favorites:
- Asparagus: These little trees are a good source of fiber and vitamin K, great for keeping that gastrointestinal tract happy and healthy!
- Leeks: Leeks are a flavorful addition to any soup or stir fry, packed with anti-tumor compounds to help ward of cancers.
- Mushrooms: Tossed in salads, stir fries, soups, pasta dishes, or eaten by the handful, mushrooms are a good source of vitamin D, a compound necessary for bone health.
- Onions: Onions are in season year-round and are known for their cancer-fighting and antioxidant properties.
- Peas: These little sweeties are a very good source of vitamins A, C, and K, as well as fiber, helping to boost your eye, blood, and gastrointestinal health.
Take the challenge today and pick one you’ve never tried…I promise, you won’t regret it!
And remember…At the end of the day, we are all doing our best. Don’t give up. Love yourself. #eatthechocolate